play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
  • play_arrow

    KSLM Live KSLM AM & FM

  • cover play_arrow

    03-05-2022 kslmadmin

Town Hall News

Trump says US and Canada reached deal to delay US tariffs on Canadian imports

todayAugust 19, 2026

Background
share close

(AP) – President Trump sees success in trade talks with Canada after reaching a last-minute agreement that delays new tariffs and keeps negotiations moving forward.

Just hours before a 50 percent tariff on 20 billion dollars worth of Canadian imports was set to take effect, Mr. Trump announced that the two countries had reached what he described as a deal in principle.

Posting on Truth Social, the President said he was pausing the tariffs for three days while final documents are completed. Trump wrote, quote, “Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL.”

The tariffs were scheduled to begin at 12:01 Wednesday morning and would have affected a wide range of Canadian products imported into the United States.

Supporters of the President say the development demonstrates Trump’s negotiating strategy at work. By maintaining the threat of tough tariffs, the administration was able to bring Canada back to the bargaining table and secure what officials describe as substantial progress toward a broader trade agreement.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney acknowledged that progress has been made, saying negotiations are continuing and important issues remain unresolved. Canada agreed to the three-day extension while talks continue.

The White House has been pushing for changes it says will create fairer trade conditions for American workers and businesses. Trump has repeatedly argued that previous trade arrangements failed to put U.S. interests first and that stronger leverage is needed to win better terms for American companies.

A major trade dispute would have been costly for both countries. Canada had threatened retaliatory tariffs of its own, potentially escalating tensions between two nations that exchanged roughly 880 billion dollars in goods and services last year.

For now, the tariff threat remains on hold, giving negotiators additional time to turn what the President calls a deal into a signed agreement.

Trump says the US has no talks planned with Iran but insists the Strait of Hormuz is operating despite limited traffic

President Trump announces on Truth Social that there are no ongoing talks with Iran, the naval blockade remains in effect, the Strait of Hormuz is open, and all water mines have been cleared.

This update follows Iran’s violation of a June memorandum of understanding by striking ships and comes amid Trump’s warnings of striking Oman if it interferes and calls for Iran to surrender.

Key Points:

  • No talks or conversations scheduled with Iran; naval blockade fully enforced with Hormuz open and mines removed.
  • Trump threatened to bomb Oman for interfering in US-Iran Strait of Hormuz issues during Fox News interview.
  • Iran violated June ceasefire MOU by attacking ships, with little diplomatic progress as tensions escalate.

Judge rules paint tests on Eisenhower Building can proceed, advancing Trump’s makeover plans for now

A federal district judge said Tuesday that paint tests on a 19th-century historic landmark building next to the White House can go ahead, advancing Trump’s plans to add a new coat of white paint to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, for now.

Trump has suggested the massive building be painted as part of his push to remake and beautify the nation’s capital. Planners said the paint job would cost at least $7.5 million.

The proposal to paint the building is opposed vy preservationists.

U.S. District Judge Dabney L. Friedrich said plaintiffs in an ongoing case had not shown that minimal tests planned for the historic building would cause irreparable harm if those tests go ahead.

PHOTO- United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, center, leaves the U.S. Department of Commerce following a meeting with Canadian officials, in Washington, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Kelly Geraldine Malone/The Canadian Press via AP)

Brought to you by www.srnnews.com

Click here to read the full article

Written by: kslmadmin

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


0%